Google’s U.S search engine market share climbed to 84.3 percent while Bing and Yahoo remained at 6.2 percent. Globally the shares of Google climbed to 87.6 percent whereas Baidu and Bing managed to capture 4.7 percent and 4.2 percent respectively for the month of September. Presently the top five major search engines are:
- Google – Undoubtedly Google is the best search engine where businesses always try to assure a 1st page placement. The fact that Google can search through billions of records throughout the day is highly appreciated by its users. The powerful tools of Google like Google places, keyword tool, Google maps and Google images makes it one of the most widely used search engines. Apart from that Google also offers cached links, excellent spell checking options, dictionary definitions, street maps, etc. Google was originally a Stanford University project started out by Sergey Brin and Larry Page.
- Yahoo – Launched in the year 1994, yahoo is the oldest directory on web. In addition to top quality search results different tabs are provided through which you can search for images, yellow page listings and even use the shopping search engine. Yahoo has the largest database in the world and that is the reason why more and more companies want to get associated with yahoo. On top of its personalization service known as My Yahoo, it has partnerships with several other providers like news sites, sports, finance, movies, games and music.
- Bing – Bing is a search engine that offers customized search results for every person browsing the web. The user can insert various details of a search where Bing streamlines the search by making it more appropriate for the user. Another major benefit of Bing is that it learns through the passage of time gathering more information and the preference of the users. Some of the impressive features of Bing include image search, instant stock information, automatic language translation, advanced math computations, and lots more.
- Ask – Ask is another popular question answering search engine founded in the year 1996. The main idea behind the development of Ask was to allow users to get answers to questions related to daily lives, traditional keyword searching and natural language. Nowadays it uses the crawler based technology to provide results to the users.
- Baidu – The Baidu search engine was developed by a Chinese web services company in the year 2000. It offers different types of services like Chinese language search engine for websites, images, audio files, Baidu Map, Baidu Encyclopedia, spell checker, stock quotes, weather, flight schedule, and lot of other features. It has over eighty million images, seven hundred forty million web pages and ten million multimedia files.
A search engine has become an effective way of searching for different types of information on the web. The search engines apart from their ability to search for different results come with several other useful features. With the advancement of technology, more and more effective search methods are being introduced to make it more convenient for the users.