Hurricane preparedness in Clearwater doesn’t end at home. As a small business, you can’t overlook hurricane preparedness in the workplace. It’s essential to take proactive steps in preparing for these unpredictable storms and other disasters there as well.
By taking the initiative to start planning early, you can create a plan that leaves you fully prepared for a disaster. This is important because, unfortunately, 40% of small businesses that close because of hurricane damage don’t reopen. To prevent your business from becoming part of this statistic, you must be proactive.
Creating a Business Survival Plan
This is a comprehensive guide that will safeguard your Clearwater business. It provides steps you can take to keep your employees safe and protect your property and its important information. As such, it’s an important tool that you’ll want to print out and go through before hurricane season starts.
There are three key steps you’re given to use as guidelines so you’re prepared for any damages after the disaster. It will also help you choose a back-up location.
Protecting Your Property
Your small business is more than what’s inside its premises. You also need to protect the structure itself. Steps you need to take to do this include:
- Invest in and install shutters or plywood to protect your windows and doors.
- Evaluate your building’s roof to make sure it can withstand a hurricane.
- Remove branches and trees near your building that could fall on it, causing damage.
- Sandbag any areas that are subject to flooding.
- Buy wall studs to anchor and brace any large furniture (e.g. bookcases, shelves, filing cabinets) and utilities (e.g. water heaters, gas tanks, heaters).
Relocate any valuable or fragile possessions.
- Secure electronics (e.g. computers, office equipment) with straps or Velcro.
- Turn off all utilities.
Protecting Important Documents and Information in Clearwater
Your small business can’t afford to forget about its important documents and information. You’ll need to make sure you have all your contacts’ information (e.g. employees, banks, lawyers, accountants, suppliers). Take steps to back-up insurance, legal, tax, and accounting documents or seal them in waterproof containers in case of water damage.
Your Preparedness Checklist
Make sure your Clearwater small business has all the following items gathered together in one location to protect your employees in the event of an emergency:
- Battery operated radio
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food including one gallon of water per person, per day
- First aid kit and manual
- Flashlights with batteries
- Basic tools and gloves
- Plastic bags and duct tape
- Cleaning supplies (e.g. mops, towels, buckets, garbage cans)
Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers
- A generator that’s fully charged at all times since you probably won’t have electricity or gas available after the storm hits
- Emergency contact information
Even throughout a hurricane in Clearwater you can still count on the Affordable SEO Company to keep your business up and running online. You don’t have to become a statistic thanks to their help. Contact them today and get your business ready to move online before a hurricane strikes.